1974 VS. 2014
Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
- 1974: Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends.
- 2014: Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.
Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his father’s car and his Dad gives him a whipping.
- 1974: Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
- 2014: Billy’s Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. Billy’s sister is told by state psychologist that she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy’s mom has affair with psychologist.
Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some headache medicine to school.
- 1974: Mark shares headache medicine with Principal out on the smoking dock.
- 2014: Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.
Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.
- 1974: Ants die.
- 2014: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms, Homeland Security, and FBI are called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny’s Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.
Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary, hugs him to comfort him.
- 1974: In a short time Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
- 2014: Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years prison.
Scenario: Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack of his truck.
- 1974: Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack’s rifle, goes to his truck and gets his to show Jack.
- 2014: School goes into lockdown, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.