We have reached our limit of sleds that can compete. We encourage you to join us at Hidden Valley on Friday, February 14th for lots of fun, entertainment and tubing!
We hope you’ve been saving your cardboard because back by popular demand is Cornbread’s Cardboard Classic! If you aren’t familiar with what we did last year Cornbread, along with the rest of 92.3 WIL and Hidden Valley Ski team up to host sledding races with a twist. The twist being the sleds can only be constructed of cardboard, tape and glue!
The 2nd Annual Cardboard Classic will take place on Friday, February 14th at 2pm at Hidden Valley Ski Area in Wildwood. Of course you’ll be sledding for a prize and we will have 3 categories to compete in.
- Best Designed Sled for those aged 21 and older will win (1) 4-night trip for 2 to Barcelo Maya Beach in Riviera Maya, Mexico courtesy of Apple Vacations. The trip will include flight from St. Louis, transfers to and from resort, all meals and drinks in resort, and 4 night accommodations.
- Fastest Sled for those all ages will win a $500 Alpine Gift Card and Hidden Valley swag bag.
- Krazy Kids’ Race for everyone aged 20 and under. The winner in this round will be judged on best design and will receive $500 cash!
Participating in the race is free and after the races are over, all participants will be able tube for free! Spectators of the event will also receive discounted pricing for additional post-race fun. They will be able to tube for 3 hours at just $20 each, receive a lift ticket for $25 and ski/snoboard rental will be just $30! Hidden Valley will have food and drinks on site, so bring a whole group and make a day out of it!
Here are some things you need to know about building your sled and race day:
- All riders must be at least 7 years or older to participate.
- Hidden Valley and 92.3 WIL employees are not permitted to push or ride in the sleds. YOU much be physically able to push your sled to the top of the tubing hill and YOU and your team must ride down in order to compete.
- Check in on race day will begin at 12 noon. Make sure you allow plenty of time to park, check in and get your sled to the top of the hill before your assigned race time.
- Sleds that fall apart while sledding down, must be picked up and carried the remainder of the way down the hill. Timing will not complete until all persons and parts of the sled have crossed the finish line.
- Building material can include: cardboard, tape, string and glue. Decorative elements such as paint, flags, and smoke are permitted.
- Items such as screws, nails and anything metal will NOT be permitted.
- Gasoline is NOT permitted on board.
- No fireworks.
- Width restriction on all sleds of 54”. We will measure.
- No height, length, or weight requirements.
- Only 1 run down the hill per sled.
- Only 1 sled entry per team. (no 1 person can ride down more than once)
- No overnight camping.
- If you build a sled with a second story please have enough space on your main level to accommodate all your riders.
- Participants must sign a liability waiver as well as wear a lift ticket. This does not give you access to ski after the competition. Tubing only.
- The party continues rain or shine.
- 92.3 WIL will assign your race time and send out the schedule by email on Friday, February 7th.